What is the Gifted Program?
Enrollment into one of the many gifted programs or schools in Chicagoland and outlying suburbs is no easy feat. Chicago Public Schools Gifted Programs offer a plethora of choices for your gifted child’s educational needs. Here’s a little more on what you can expect from the academically-advanced curriculum for your gifted child:
- Receive instruction up to two years above their current grade level
- Emphasis on critical thinking, logical reasoning, problem-solving, and creativity
- Rigor in the core content areas
- Expose students to a world language or Latin, laboratory science, computer science, and fine arts
In most cases, acceptance into one of these gifted programs in Chicago requires IQ testing facilitated by a licensed psychologist. Wellington Counseling Group is proud to offer standardized IQ testing and descriptive reports accepted by the gifted programs at various schools in the Chicagoland area. If you have a gifted child who is being considered for an advanced program, consider IQ testing at WCG.
What are the signs your child may be gifted?
There may be some signs you will notice if you suspect your child may be eligible for a gifted program. Here are some of the most common signs to keep an eye out for:
- Early ability to read (gifted children can often read 2+ years above their current grade level)
- Use of advanced vocabulary at an early age
- A need to explore subjects in surprising depth
- Insatiable curiosity (as demonstrated by what feels like endless questions)
- Periods of intense concentration
- Ability to process complex information
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to think abstractly
- A wide range of interests and involvement in self-initiated projects
The gifted program, alongside extracurriculars, can help your student continue to grow their skillsets.
Assessment for Gifted Students
Testing provides an objective and systematic way of identifying gifted children. Achievement tests are often used as benchmark requirements for entrance into specific programs, or if a discrepancy in learning is suspected. However, formal assessments are only one tool in determining giftedness. Tests should be used in conjunction with subjective assessment tools in the hands of credentialed experts in the field of psychological assessment.
Quantitative instruments use scores to describe the student's performance in relation to their same-age peers or the degree to which a student possesses a particular characteristic in relation to a standard level of performance. These scores are used to determine students’ eligibility for the gifted program. Make sure to discuss the eligibility requirements with your student’s school.
The appropriate gifted assessment will vary depending on the age of the student. You may recognize signs of giftedness in your child at a very early age. However, the National Association for Gifted Children recommends waiting until your child is at least 6 years old for any assessments since IQ testing isn’t usually reliable for measuring ability in children who are under 6 years old.
These standardized tests will help you and your student make the best decision for their academic curriculum moving forward.
Where you can get an Assessment for Gifted Students in Chicago
If you’re interested in getting a gifted child assessment in Chicago, reach out to us at Wellington Counseling Group. Getting your child into gifted programs or schools in the Chicagoland area isn’t easy. However, our standardized IQ tests are widely accepted in a majority of local schools.
Contact us today to learn more.